Job Position: Social Worker
Company: Government of Yukon
Expected salary: $91749 – 106467 per year
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Social Worker Job Details:
This is an until -filled competition. Candidates are encouraged not to delay submitting their application as this posting can close at any time with 24-hours posted notice. Resumes will be screened at regular intervals until the position is filled or the competition closes, whichever is earliest.
This competition will be used to fill multiple full-time permanent positions, working 75 hours bi-weekly.
Family and Children Services is looking for motivated, collaborative, and committed social workers with a desire to work in the area of child welfare.
Family Services Social Worker positions are responsible for the provision of child welfare casework in the areas of child protection, family services, and children in care. Social Workers in this area conduct investigations, assessments, and provide preventative and support services to children and families who may be at risk of abuse and/or neglect. Additional responsibilities include children in care and extended family care. Family and Children Services Social Workers are delegated to carry out duties under the Child and Family Services Act, provide after hours on-call coverage as required and work collaboratively and with transparency with First Nation governments.
If you are committed to ensuring the community is a safe and caring environment in which children and their families may develop to their full potential, we look forward to hearing from you.
For more information about this position, please contact: Tracey Rumbolt at or 867-393-7411
For information about the recruitment process, please contact: Susan Bryant, Human Resources Consultant at 867- 332-4271 or or Dolapo Awobamise, Human Resource Consultant at 867-3328-340 or
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications – specifically – how your work experiences and related duties align with the essential qualifications shown below. Note that selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume.
- Bachelor of Social Work; and,
- Social work experience and/or practicum in providing services to families, children and individuals.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability:
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Demonstrated interest in rural Yukon social work;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with an emphasis on Yukon First Nation’s culture;
- Strong knowledge and experience in social work principles and practices in child welfare and case management;
- Demonstrated interest in child and family services including child protection;
- Sound ethical decision making skills that demonstrates the capacity to complete family, children and individual assessments at a professional level;
- Excellent decision making skills and practice guided by the Canadian Association of Social Work Code of Ethics;
- Ability to take a broad-based, strategic approach to community development in response to mandated client service;
- Ability to prepare affidavits or court documents and intervention services including investigations and core protection services; and,
- The skill to work with high risk complex cases with a strong ability to help deescalate clients and/or deal with potentially volatile and aggressive individuals.
- Ability to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
Conditions of Employment:
- Vulnerable Sector Security Clearance;
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence or equivalent; and,
- Verification of Bachelor of Social Work degree.
- Demonstrate the potential to be delegated within 12-months of hire under the Child and Family Services Act
- Willingness to travel within and outside of Territory on an occasional basis with limited notice; and,
- Willingness to work extended hours with limited notice or be on standby for extended periods of time with frequent evening, weekend, and statutory holiday work hours are required.
Learn more about us!
Yukon government has been selected as one of since 2014!
To learn more about what Yukon has to offer, check out these links: and
Check us out:
28 November 2023
27 February 2024