Job Position: Operator, Plant
Company: Rio Tinto
Location: Yellowknife, NT
Operator, Plant Job Details:
- Be part of a global mining organization with a strong focus on safety
- Work with an exceptional team of operations and maintenance people
- Opportunity to introduce and implement continuous change initiatives
- Role is based at Lac de Gras Mine Site, NT
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
We are looking for a Plant Operator responsible for the operation and monitoring of process equipment within their designated area, by ensuring safety is maintained and that production objectives are met. This will be done under the direct supervision and guidance of the Plant Supervisor.
Working a two (2) weeks on / two (2) weeks off rotation, the successful candidate will:
- Identify, assess, and control hazards to ensure work is performed safely.
- Identify safety concerns and work with your team to brainstorm mitigations or elimination strategies.
- Adhere to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), safety standards and policies.
- Attend and participate in Daily Toolbox Meetings.
- Foster and develop a good safety culture within the Backfill plant.
- Immediately reporting all incidents and accidents to the Plant supervisor.
- Complete operational checks in designated sections of the plant and report deviations.
- Complete regular and assigned plant operation duties in designated areas.
- Troubleshoot operational problems to maintain a steady state of operation and maximize plant utilization and throughput to meet or exceed production targets.
- Clearly communicate all production and safety related issue to team members and cross shift.
- Perform plant clean-up and good housekeeping in the plant to maintain the cleanliness of the plant and equipment to a high standard.
- Recognize and correct undesirable trends in production.
- Report maintenance issues to supervisor.
- Work closely with the maintenance department to assist in work strategies related to operational requirements and needs.
- Closely work with the Central Control Room Operator to maximize the plant productivity.
- Work towards achieving the 5 levels of certification in the progression plan.
What you’ll bring
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Grade 12 with a preference to related plant operations experience.
- Literacy skills required to read and understand manuals and written instructions.
- Specific knowledge and skills to receive certification in various circuits e.g. crushing.
- General Process Plant operational standards, policies, procedures, and processes.
- DDMI safety policies, procedures, practices, and standards.
- Knowledge of the safe and proper operation of a variety of equipment.
- Ability to learn and understand technical procedures and information quickly.
- Excellent oral, written and active-listening skills.
- Ability to work in high stress situations and resolve issues.
- Highly effective organizational, time management and analytical skills. Ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team.
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority.
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions.
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans.
- Attractive share ownership plan.
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave.)
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminum, critical minerals, and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Where you’ll be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Working at Rio Tinto also means choosing to be part of a company designated as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2023 for a 4th consecutive year. For more information, click here: