Job Position: Health Care Social Worker B (BSW) – Primary Health Care
Company: Nova Scotia Health Authority
Expected salary: $33.96 – 42.89 per hour
Location: North Sydney, NS
Health Care Social Worker B (BSW) – Primary Health Care Job Details:
Req ID: 169689
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Eastern Zone, Northside Family Collaborative Clinic
Department: PHC EZ CB FP Langley NS
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Status: UNIFOR Healthcare Position
Posting Closing Date: 9-Feb-24
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there’s a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with a Nova Scotia Health role means you’ll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Health Services Lead or delegate, the Social Worker (BSW) is a member of a collaborative interprofessional team or teams and plays an important role in the delivery of Primary Health Care. The Social Worker takes a participatory approach, designed to optimize health gains, to screening, assessment, counselling, group facilitation, navigation, care planning and advocacy. Motivational interviewing and brief solution focused questions are standard approaches. Scope of role includes knowledge of community-based services and referral to appropriate programs/services in the community including, but not limited to Community Services and community based mental health services. The Social Worker liaises with other programs and services and develops extensive relationship building and bridging with both internal and external to NSHA programs and services.
The collaborative family practice team works together to develop and deliver services to the entire population in the community cluster, including outreach to remote areas and services to meet the needs of priority populations. This position requires work at multiple sites and travel between various community locations throughout the area. As well, the social worker will link with, and in some cases collaborate with, integrated wellness and chronic disease programs and services offered by primary health care and others in the community health network.
The Social Worker exhibits sound professional judgment and initiative while working within the Mission, Vision and Strategic Directions of NSHA.
We would love to hear from you if you have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work (BSW) from an accredited and approved School of Social Work/University Program
- Current registration (or eligibility for registration) and a member in good standing with the Nova Scotia Association of Social Workers
- Minimum two years of experience as a registered Social Worker, preferably within a community based health-care setting
- Recent, relevant experience working with community agencies/resources, volunteers and support groups
- Demonstrated ability to complete initial and ongoing client assessments (clinical and diagnostic reasoning), interviewing and client-centered problem solving, care planning, case management, evaluation of client competence in self-care and other relation outcomes in a Primary Health Care environment
- Understanding of or willingness to learn health coaching techniques and interventions, including brief and short term solution focused therapy and motivational interviewing, within the timeframe prescribed on commencement of position
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with patients, families, public, community partners, primary care team members and other professionals and agencies using verbal, written and computer communication means
- Exhibits characteristics of warmth, empathy, humor, and a non-judgmental philosophy of care
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills within scope of practice including clinical judgment and problem solving skills and the ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve effectively
- Demonstrated strong ethical standards and a commitment to professional development and life-long learning
- Ability to promote client-focused care that demonstrates care for and with clients and significant others, sensitive to diverse cultures and preferences, client advocacy and social justice concerns Strong understanding of health promotion, population health, and the determinants of health theory and practice
- Ability to transmit information grounded in behavior change and principals of self-management intended to instruct clients and others about topics essential to health care and well-being
About you cont.
- Demonstrated ability in applying new and innovative technologies and strategies for education and patient counselling
- Experience facilitating education programs and group meetings
- Manages time and resources, implementing activities to promote cooperation among relevant others, collaboration across disciplines and related activities
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Programs, including Outlook
- Ability to organize and maintain client health records within an EMR including continuous learning around EMR functionalities considered an asset
- Physical and mental capabilities to perform the duties of the position such as working flexible hours, dealing with stressful situations
- Traveling between sites within the local network and to meetings in other localities as required
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred. Ability to work with language agency to deliver care to patients in other languages is considered an asset
Please ensure your resume is up to date and includes all relevant education, experience, training, and certifications.
- Permanent full-time position; 75 hours bi-weekly
Compensation and Incentives
$33.96 – $42.89 Hourly
Successful candidates may be eligible for our benefits package which includes health, dental, travel, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage as well as a defined benefit pension plan.
Once You’ve Applied
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Healthcare bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Preferred candidates must be able to demonstrate proof of primary series of COVID -19 vaccine at time of hire.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage all qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotian, Persons of Colour, Foreign Nationals/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply and self-identify.
How to Apply?
If you believe you’re a great fit for the role of Health Care Social Worker B (BSW) – Primary Health Care Apply Now!
Also, Check out More Health Care Social Worker B (BSW) – Primary Health Care Vacancies in Canada.