Job Position: Facilities Maintenance Technician – General
Company: Nasittuq Corporation
Facilities Maintenance Technician – General Job Details:
Join Nasittuq for a unique and rewarding experience!
Nasittuq provides Operation & Maintenance services for the North Warning System (NWS). The NWS is a joint Canada and United States early-warning radar system with 47 sites located in Northern Canada; a Control Centre and Support Centre located in North Bay, ON and a Contract Management Office located in Ottawa, ON.
Please note: This is a full time, Unionized rotational position. The candidate must be comfortable working in colder climates, during a 6 week on, 6 week off rotation schedule. All travel to/from site, including board and meals, is provided.
The Facilities Maintenance Technician (FMT-G) has functional responsibility for completing preventative and corrective maintenance on systems such as fire systems (suppression and detection), HVAC, power generation, electrical distribution, water & sewage systems, building shell construction and roads and grounds under the direction of the LSS Manager.
Also, the FMT-G is responsible for ensuring that the associated administrative requirements are completed in accordance with standard operating procedures. This includes documenting, reporting and maintaining facilities files as related to the NWS work management system, operational field reports, data analysis, etc.
- Must be physically fit, to be able to climb towers and pass training for working at heights.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on bulk fuel systems including dipping tanks, pipeline inspection, pumps, valves and filters
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on hydronic heating systems including heat exchangers, waste heat recovery boilers, pumps, piping and unit heaters
- Bulk fuel systems including dipping tanks, pipeline inspection, pumps, valves and filters
- Hydronic heating systems including heat exchangers, waste heat recovery boilers, pumps, piping and unit heaters
- Building infrastructure including guy wires and general maintenance of the site
- Water distribution and sewage systems including transferring water by truck
- Documenting and maintaining facilities files as related to the work management system, work plans, field/incident reports, and data analysis
- Responding to emergency situations (unexpected failures)
- Assist apprentices and other trades as required
- Participate on the Fire Brigade
- Providing Wildlife Protection
- Fuel helicopters, loading and unloading the aircrafts
- Shovel snow
- Responding to site emergencies and environment emergencies
- General housekeeping in support of a healthy and safe workplace environment and taking proactive and corrective measures
- Performs other duties assigned by a higher authority, which are unplanned or of a transient nature.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATE(S) / LICENSE(S):
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Journeypersons Inter-Provincial Trade Certification in a facilities system related trade
- Possess a valid class ‘G’ driver’s license, or provincial/territorial equivalent
- Possess a Reliability Clearance or be eligible to obtain one
- Standard First Aid trained with CPR Level A, or willing to obtain Standard First Aid certification and hold a valid certificate
- Possess a valid Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) or willing to obtain and hold a current license
- 3-5 years related experience (diagnostic and repairs), minimum, in a commercial or industrial setting
- Must be familiar with programmable logic controllers, diesel generators, switchgear and distribution systems, and safety regulations and practices.
- Knowledge or experience with Fire Detection and Fire Suppression systems would be an asset.
- Interpreting drawings, diagrams and specifications on a variety of mechanical equipment, including manufacturer’s manuals and parts books
COMPETENCIES / SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Solid communication and computer skills (MS Word and Excel).
- Good written and verbal skills (English)
- Requires ability to adapt to changing tasks and locations.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE), as required
- Ability to work under physically demanding, often adverse weather conditions in remote Arctic locations
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Hands-on mechanical experience with Deutz engines and Caterpillar 3400 series engines would be an asset. Due to the multi-disciplinary nature of the position, previous industrial mechanical maintenance experience, preferably in power plant operation would also be an asset. A Plumbing ticket or in progress is desired and considered an asset.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- 48 hours work week, additional overtime eligible
- costs associated with travel to and from site are covered
- private bedroom accommodations and meals provided on site
- benefits plan after 3 month probation period (extended health, dental, vision, disability, life) and pension plan, contributions matched by employer (5%)
- arctic gear is provided
- annual safety footwear allowance ($175)
- vacation pay (6%)
Qualified and interested candidates please apply!
Nasittuq is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified groups. Inuit Land Claim Beneficiary applicants are encouraged to apply and self-identify.
APPLICANTS WHO ARE ENROLLED UNDER AN INUIT NUNANGAT LAND CLAIMS AGREEMENT WILL BE GIVEN PRIORITY HIRING. WE ENCOURAGE APPLICANTS TO SELF-IDENTIFY.
IQQANAIJAAQTAARASUAQTUT ILAGIJAUQATAULLUTIK INUIT NUNANGANNI NUNALIRINIRNMUT ANGIRUTIUSIMAJUNUT SIVULLIQPAUTAUNIAQTUT IQQANAIJAAQTAARTITAUJUNNAQTUNUT. IKAJUQTURPATSI IQQANAIJAAQTAARASUAQATAUJUSI NALUNAIQSIQULLUSI ILAGIJAUQATAUNITSINNIK.
ᐃᖅᑲᓇᐃᔮᖅᑖᕋᓱᐊᖅᑐ ᐃᓚᒋᔭᐅᖃᑕᐅᓪᓗᑎᒃ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᓄᓇᖓᓐᓂ ᓄᓇᓕᕆᓂᕐᒧᑦ ᐊᖏᕈᑎᐅᓯᒪᔪᓄᑦ ᓯᕗᓪᓕᖅᐸᐅᑎᑕᐅᓂᐊᖅᑐᑦ ᐃᖅᑲᓇᐃᔮᖅᑖᕐᑎᑕᐅᔪᓐᓇᖅᑐᓄᑦ. ᐃᑲᔪᖅᑐᕐᐸᑦᓯ ᐃᖅᑲᓇᐃᔮᖅᑖᕋᓱᐊᖃᑕᐅᔪᓯ ᓇᓗᓇᐃᖅᓯᖁᓪᓗᓯ ᐃᓚᒋᔭᐅᖃᑕᐅᓂᑦᓯᓐᓂᒃ.
Nasittuq provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
We thank you for your interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to Apply?
If you believe you’re a great fit for the role of Facilities Maintenance Technician – General Apply Now!
Also, Check out More Facilities Maintenance Technician – General Vacancies in Canada.