Job Position: Sous Chef, Seasonal
Company: Compass Group
Expected salary: $23 per hour
Location: Wiarton, ON
Sous Chef, Seasonal Job Details:
Start Date: May 1, 2024
Status: Seasonal, Full-Time (May-September)
Schedule: 35-44hrs/week over a 7 day period
Location: 760 Hwy 6, Wiarton, ON – Elite Camps Hoop Dreams
Important Information: Previous relevant experience is an asset. Accommodations available onsite. Vulnerable Sector Check required.
You might not know our name, but you know where we are. That’s because Compass Group Canada is part of a global foodservice and support services company that’s the 6th largest employer in the world, with 625,000 employees.
You’ll find us in schools, colleges, hospitals, office buildings, senior living communities, tourist attractions, sports venues, remote camps and military installations and more. We’re in all major cities, at remote work sites and everywhere in between – doing business in Canada and 50+ other countries where you can learn and grow. Join us now and point your career forward!
Imagine creating a place where tomorrow’s leaders, big thinkers, and dreamers gather. Join us and know that you make it possible for others to learn, grow, and discover. Because of what we do, students and faculty share so much more than a meal. And that’s why this is so much more than a job.
Why work with Chartwells? We are a member of Compass Group Canada, the leading foodservice and support services company. We cater to Generation Z on college campuses and upcoming K-12 generations. We offer dining programs and solutions that fit the unique needs of today’s students. Join our commitment to providing responsible, healthy-eating solutions.
Click to view our Team Member video!
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Sous Chefs, we’d ask you to do the following for us:
- Assist the Culinary Director in the unit, taking over the Culinary Directors’ duties in his/her absence.
- Assist the Culinary Director with inventories, pricing, cost controls, requisitioning, and issuing supplies and equipment for food production.
- Prepare and supervise the culinary team in preparation of a wide variety of foods in addition to sharing food knowledge with the team.
- Be directly involved in menu planning and development, operation planning, expenditures, budgeting, costing and maintaining proper inventory levels.
- Ensure proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Ensure good client relationships are maintained and that the client is satisfied with the service and menu options provided.
- Ensure strict compliance with Compass’ Quality Assurance and Health and Safety Program, Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS regulations.
- Coordinate frequent workplace inspections and WHMIS training of all staff and promptly report any workplace accident or incident to head office.
- Make recommendations for maintenance, repair and upkeep of the kitchen, its equipment and other areas as appropriate.
Think you have what it takes to be our Sous Chef? We’re committed to hiring the best talent for the role. Here’s how we’ll know you’ll be successful in the role.
- Four years of related culinary supervisory experience in a fast-paced production-oriented environment.
- Strong background in banquet and catering functions with high-volume production.
- Comprehensive knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls and presentation.
- Basic supervisory skills, capable of motivating, leading and developing associates.
- Hard-working team player with ability to prioritize effectively.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Able to work flexible hours to accommodate business needs, may require evening and weekend availability.
Compass Group Canada is committed to nurturing a diverse workforce representative of the communities within which we operate. We encourage and are pleased to consider all qualified candidates, without regard to race, colour, citizenship, religion, sex, marital / family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, disability or persons who may require an accommodation, to apply.
For accommodation requests during the hiring process, please contact for further information.