Job title: NASA Space Radiation Laboratory Team Member
Company: Brookhaven National Laboratory
Location: Upton, NY
NASA Space Radiation Laboratory Team Member Job Details:
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) has an opening for a NASA Space Radiation Laboratory (NSRL) staff member to join the team at the facility. The NSRL uses proton and heavy ion beams from the BNL Booster synchrotron to simulate the radiation environment of space. NASA conducts radiobiology experiments to learn about the effects of space radiation on astronauts. The space industry tests electronics for radiation tolerance. In this role you will be a liaison to researchers and main control room operators in the preparation and execution of experiments as well as maintain and monitor equipment operation and performance. It is necessary to be able to work a flexible schedule which includes evenings and occasional weekends. Schedules can change on short notice. This position has a high level of interaction with a multidisciplinary scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Ion Source and Main Control Room Operators to prepare beam for experiments, tune and shape beam, archive, and calibrate beam
- Deliver exposures and distribute run summaries to researchers
- Daily recordkeeping of NSRL activities for NASA
- Assist researchers setting up and running equipment throughout the exposure time
- Develop technical and research projects for NSRL
- Maintenance of equipment used to monitor and control the beam
- Communicate with MCR Operators and Ion Source Operators regarding accelerator performance
- Respond to emergency situations, alarms, or occurrences based on standard operating procedures
- Identify hazards, environmental concerns and unsafe conditions or practices and implement or suggest controls to minimize risks
- Bachelor of Science degree in Physics
- At least three years’ full time relevant experience in particle physics, nuclear physics or radiation physics
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills
- Computing proficiency to include Excel spreadsheets
- Ability to work long and irregular hours
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in accelerator operations
- Experience in detector development
- Familiarity with Oscilloscopes, Ion Chambers, Photomultipliers, Lasers, Data Acquisition Systems
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to work well in a high stress environment
- Ability to hear alarms
- Good depth vision, distance and color
- Alertness and vigilance
- Moderate lifting up to 30 pounds
- This is a fully onsite position located at BNL
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Apply for the job now!