Job Position: Journeyperson Plumber
Expected salary: $32.16 per hour
Location: Halifax, NS
Journeyperson Plumber Job Details:
Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications for the permanent, full-time position of Journeyperson Plumber in the Facility Maintenance & Operations division of Property, Fleet & Environment. Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is committed to reflecting the community it serves and recognizing Diversity and Inclusion as one of the Municipality’s core values. We have an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Women in occupations or positions where they are underrepresented in the workforce, Indigenous/Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities and 2SLGBTQ+ Persons. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify on their electronic application.
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Building Operations, this position performs duties associated with the Journeyperson Plumber designation. It includes the installation, maintenance and servicing of equipment and systems for potable water, sanitary sewage, drainage and hot water heating.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Investigate plumbing and heating concerns and emergencies, including water main breaks/loss of heat or water, unusable washroom facilities, air conditioning units and/or pneumatic controls;
- Assists with design and layout of renovations to plumbing and heating systems; verifying design and technical mechanical requirements for code compliance;
- Renovations and alterations of plumbing and heating systems in accordance to requirements; including but not limited to baseboard and unit heaters, old piping systems, water systems and fixtures;
- Maintains repairs and replaces pumps, pneumatic controls, washroom vents, and drain systems to current code levels;
- Installs, tests, repairs and certified Cross Connection Control Devices;
- Purchase parts using Statistical Orders, as well as, completing and submitting paperwork associated with purchases;
- Complete preventative maintenance on Facilities plumbing and heating systems, including maintaining records of repairs/units and entering data into computer;
- Respond to customer requests using good customer service practices;
- Completing annual start up and shut down of seasonal facilities: outdoor pools, beach houses, fountains, washrooms, showers, splash pad facilities, irrigation systems, and outdoor skating rinks;
- Maintenance to existing indoor pool facilities;
- Other duties as assigned and authorized by supervisor.
Education and Experience:
- Valid Canadian Journeyperson Plumber Certificate
- Cross Connection Control license or willingness to obtain
- Five (5) years’ relevant experience in the trade
- Knowledge & application of National Plumbing Code and updates, hand and specialty tools, and ventilation
- Must have a valid Class 5 driver’s license with a good driving record (an abstract acceptable to the employer must be provided upon request)
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must be willing to upgrade skills as required by changes in regulations/codes
- Must have, or be willing to take training in: Computers, WHMIS, First Aid, CPR, Fall Arrest, mandatory HRM employee training courses, and other courses deemed a requirement
- Must be tolerant to sensory conditions such as smell, temperatures, and other environmental factors
- Able to work as part of a team, must be comfortable working alone
- Must be able to work effectively with non-trade persons and non-journeypersons
- Good attendance record
Security Clearance Requirements: Applicants may be required to complete an employment security screening check.
Please note – Testing may be conducted as a component of the selection process to assess technical and job specific knowledge. Candidates, who are selected for testing, may be tested in a group setting, scheduled at the employer’s discretion.
Candidates must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position and have valid licensing, as required.
Please note – Applicants are responsible to include all information that they wish to have taken into consideration in the review of their application, and applicants are required to provide full details of experience or training referenced in the posting. Applicants may be screened out of this competition at preliminary stages of review based on the insufficiency of the information provided, and the award of this position may be made solely on the basis of the information provided in the electronic submission without any requirement that the Employer contact the candidate for further elaboration on information referenced in the application.
COMPETENCIES: Communication, Teamwork & Cooperation, Initiative, Customer Service Orientation, Valuing Diversity
WORK STATUS: Permanent, Full-time
HOURS OF WORK: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., for 40 hours/week
SALARY: Group 9, $32.16 per hour (in accordance with the CUPE local 108 Collective Agreement)
WORK LOCATION: 375 Cowie Hill Rd, Halifax
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be received up to 11:59PM on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
This is a bargaining unit position. External applicants will only be considered if there are no qualified bargaining unit candidates.
Please note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for interview/testing will be contacted.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruiter when invited to the assessment process.