Job Position: Internship – Construction Field Technician – Diavik – Summer 2024
Company: Rio Tinto
Location: Yellowknife, NT
Internship – Construction Field Technician – Diavik – Summer 2024 Job Details:
Diavik – Construction Field Technician
Internship – COOP – Summer 2024
If you want to drive real change, we have just the place to do it. Our Internship Program is an opportunity for you to shape Rio Tinto from the inside out. We want you to be part of our team to help take us forward by solving the emerging challenges of our time. At Rio Tinto, we believe the best ideas come from bringing people together with different perspectives to work toward a common goal – to create a better tomorrow.
We are offering an 8-months (Mai 2024 to December 2024) internship opportunity to Civil, Geotechnical or Mining Engineering students at our Diavik Diamond Mine in the Northwest Territories. This is a Fly-Fly out rotational role for our DDMI mine.
The schedule is a 2 weeks on /2 weeks off rotation that includes working weekends and holidays. The rotations will consist of 12-hour daily shifts. You will be flown in/out of the Diavik site from Yellowknife or Edmonton for your shifts and all accommodation and meals are included in camp.
About the role
Reporting to the Project Engineer and Survey Supervisor, the Construction Field Technician student will be an integral part of the Diavik Project delivery team.
The Construction Field Tech COOP student will have an opportunity to provide both survey and quality control functions for the construction of the processed kimberlite containment facility dam raise and the progressive reclamation of the site’s waste rock pile:
- Survey responsibilities may include quantity surveys, layout, and field supervision of a large-scale earthworks project.
- Quality control functions may include materials testing, crush production stockpiling QC, earthworks construction QC.
- Interface and coordinate with Construction, Engineering, and Operations personnel to track and control daily activities in accordance with design details and specifications.
- Actively participate in site safety and quality control/survey processes.
What you’ll bring
To be successfully considered for this role, you will be registered in an accredited engineering COOP program and must have the following qualities:
- Have a Environmental, Geological and Material Engineering background
- Highly self-motivated
- Outstanding organizational and participative skills
- Excellent communication skills are required to liaise with consulting engineers, contractors, and management
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Previous experience on a mine site is an asset but not necessary
- Previous experience with GPS survey and material testing is an asset
- Experience with drafting software such as Civil 3D, AutoCAD or similar would be an asset
- To be eligible for this internship, you must be returning to school after the work term and have the right to work in Canada.
What we offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary
- Ambitious, exciting, and rewarding experience
- Opportunity to build relationships with the Rio Tinto team and community
- A great chance to prepare yourself to join our
Where you will be working
The Diavik Diamond Mine, in Canada’s Northwest Territories, is located on a 20 square kilometer island, called East Island, in Lac de Gras, a lake located 300 kilometers northeast of Yellowknife. It is 100 kilometers north of the tree line and 210 km south of the Arctic Circle. Workers at the mine site commute to the island by plane.
Our diamonds from Diavik are stunning white gems, produced to the highest possible standards of safety and integrity. At Diavik, the safety of our people is our number one priority. We will never compromise this. Having all the people who come to our mine site return home to their families and loved ones at the end of every roster or visit is our number one goal.
The schedule is currently a 3 weeks on /3 weeks off rotation that includes working weekends and holidays. The rotations consist of 12-hour daily shifts. You are flown in/out of the Diavik site for your shifts and all accommodation and meals are included in camp. Pick up location options currently are Halifax, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Yellowknife. There is potential that this changes to a 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off rotation in the future with pick up points only in Yellowknife and Edmonton, once the Covid-19 pandemic normalizes.
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals, and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Every Voice Matters
We particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome –they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
There’s no better time to lead this change than the leaders of the future and that starts with a graduate or Intern role at Rio Tinto. Apply today.
Please note, to be considered for this role, you must complete all pre-screening questions.
*Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove job postings as there is enough applicants, therefore, if you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please submit your application as soon as possible.
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
How to Apply?
If you believe you’re a great fit for the role of Internship – Construction Field Technician – Diavik – Summer 2024 Apply Now!
Also, Check out More Internship – Construction Field Technician – Diavik – Summer 2024 Vacancies in Canada.