Job Position: Instrument Technician
Company: Anglo American
Location: Northwest Territories
Instrument Technician Job Details:
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happen.
We are the world’s leading diamond company, powered by thousands of people around the world who are driven to support thriving local communities, protect the natural environment, and stand with women and girls, focused on Building Forever.
If you like chasing demanding targets, thrive on making decisions in the pursuit of brilliance, and enjoy the support of the world’s finest experts, we have a place for you.
De Beers Group has an opportunity for an energetic, self-motivated individual to join the Engineering and Site Services team at the Gahcho Kué Mine Site based in the Northwest Territories. Reporting to the Electrical and Instrumentation Supervisor, this position will be responsible to install and maintain field instruments in a safe, functional, reliable condition and provide customer service to the Site maintenance and operations teams. The ideal candidate is one who is committed to safe working practices and strives for zero harm.
- Complete preventative maintenance service and quality repair of equipment in accordance with planning functions and coordination with work plan activity and maintenance schedule of all field instruments and recovery plant equipment;
- Ensure all process instrumentation and gauge measurement systems are correctly installed, inspected or calibrated based on Maintenance plans or OEM guidelines;
- Ensure all field instruments connected to process control systems or loops interface effectively with each other and provide accurate readings and remote feedback;
- Ensure all work is completed professionally in line with OEM design requirements and adheres to site specifications, trade code and regulatory standards;
- Identify spare parts requirements to maintain equipment design performance;
- Timely communicate or report equipment found in unsafe operating condition;
- Continuously develop and implement best and most effective practices to assure quality, safety and efficiency of procedures;
- Provide assistance in scoping and planning of new; and
- Perform ad-hoc work duties or train other personnel as part of Cross-discipline Learning and Development initiative.
This is a site-based position with two (2) weeks on, two (2) weeks out rotation.
- Interprovincial Journeyperson certification as an Instrumentation technician;
- Experience in industrial setting (minimum 5 years); remote mine site experience an asset;
- Experience with new installations, troubleshooting and other instrumentation related works;
- Ability to read and comprehend Instrumentation drawings;
- Ability to operate within MS Office and SAP environment;
- Ability to build productive working relationships with all departments on site;
- Ability to communicate and approach work in a professional and effective manner;
- Experience working at a remote mining site and in a cross-cultural work environment; and
- Proven commitment to Safety, Health and Environmental Standards.
Who We Are:
Active in Canada for over 60 years, we are part of De Beers Group, the world’s leading diamond company. Globally, we are a team of more than 20,000 people, with operations in Canada, Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa, and activities across the diamond value chain from exploration to diamond jewelry retail. Our unwavering focus on sustainability and Building Forever fuels our commitment to advance standards across the diamond industry, protect the natural world, partner with local communities, and accelerate economic inclusion to support diversity in our business and beyond.
In Canada, we have more than 600 employees working at offices in Calgary, Toronto and Yellowknife, actively exploring for new diamond opportunities, recovering diamonds at the joint venture Gahcho Kué mine in the Northwest Territories, and closing and rehabilitating two mines. We are also advancing the Chidliak Project to establish a technologically advanced diamond mine on Baffin Island using FutureSmart Mining™ principles.
At De Beers, we believe in the power of working in partnership with communities to create lasting, positive impacts that endure long after we recover the last diamond. Our inclusive and diverse workplace values mining with respect for the environment and nearby communities, and we seek team players who share our passion for Making Life Brilliant.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health, and the well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI)
As a global #HeForShe Thematic Champion De Beers is committed to promoting an equitable, inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential. Please inform us should there be any special requirements that should be considered as part of your application.
Sustainability is at the heart of our decision-making – it is how we do business. Building Forever is key to our purpose as it represents our ambitious and holistic sustainability framework and is central to our ability to deliver long-term value to our communities and partners. This shapes how we protect our social and environmental license to operate, build a long-term legacy in our host communities and earn consumers’ trust in our diamonds that they can wear with pride.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential.
Referral incentive applicable: This opportunity is open to a paid referral incentive according to the Employee Referral Policy (HRM.AD.21.00). Referral incentives are applicable to De Beers Group internal employees only.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.