Job title: Human Resources Director
Company: United Farm Workers of America
Expected salary: $75000 per year
Location: Keene, CA
Human Resources Director Job Details:
will use a
The Human Resources Director is directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resource function. The Human Resources Director will (1) be focused on the big picture as well as the details for the organization; (2) help supervisors and managers develop themselves and their teams to be better as people and professionals; (3) be responsible for developing HR strategies and providing sound advice to the Executive Board; and (4) work with the Executive Board to develop an organizational culture that is committed to transparency, integrity, trust, freedom and passion.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (This is not an exhaustive list.)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. * Annually reviews and makes recommendations to executive management for improvement of the organization’s policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures organization’s compliance.
- Maintains responsibility for organization compliance with federal, state and local legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
- Communicates changes in the organization’s personnel policies and procedures and ensures that proper compliance is followed.
- Assists executive management in the annual review, preparation and administration of the organization’s wage and salary program.
- Coordinates or conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Consults with legal counsel as appropriate on personnel matters.
- Works directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
- Recommends, evaluates and participates in staff development for the organization.
- Develops and maintains a human resource information system that meets the organization’s personnel information needs.
- Supervises the staff of the human resource department.
- Work effectively with both non-union and union employees.
- Participates on committees and special projects as assigned
- Approximately 10-15% travel time required.
- Other duties as assigned. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- This position will oversee the human resources department and will be responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS:
The ideal candidate for this position must have a high level of professionalism and organization. The candidate must demonstrate competency in the following areas:
- Business Acumen. Keenness and quickness in understanding and dealing with a “business situation” (risks and opportunities) in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome.
- Critical Evaluation. Ability to show the essence of something by breaking it down into its component parts, examining each part in detail and explaining issues…(1) making connections and (2) seeing relationships between information.
- Dedication to Mission. A genuine interest in immigrant and farm worker rights.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and Spanish. Comfort addressing a variety of audiences with a knowledgeable and friendly demeanor.
- Global and Cultural Awareness. Ability to understand (1) how environmental, social, cultural, economic and political factors impact the world and (2) how other people’s cultural values, beliefs and perceptions might differ from yours.
- Leadership and Navigation. Ability to direct and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization.
- Relationship Management. Ability to maintain a continuous level of engagement with the UFW Leadership Team, front-line supervisors, employees, and others and create strategic partnerships.
- Si Se Puede (It Can Be Done) Attitude. The embodiment of a personal spirit that promotes confidence, courage and risk-taking.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above and below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Requires ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from executive board members, supervisors and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, and area. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field and four to six years of HR management experience, or ten years of HR management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS:
- One of the following:
- A master’s degree in human resource management or related field.
- Juris doctor degree.
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR).
- Previous experience working with unionized employees, farm workers, the Latino community, and/or immigrant community.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- See above under “Preferred Requirements and/or Qualifications”.
ADDITIONAL AND/OR SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS:
- Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
- Working remotely is permissible, but a physical presence may be required between 1 to 3 days per week depending on the operational needs of the organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Apply for the job now!