Job Position: Community Engagement Lead
Location: Iqaluit, NU
Community Engagement Lead Job Details:
Mission for this Position
At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world’s most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won’t find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
Reporting to the Manager, Community and Strategic Development, the Community Engagement Lead will lead the organization in tracking all community engagements within Nunavut for all Baffinland staff, with assistance from the Baffinland Community Liaison Officers (BCLO’s). Collaborating with various stakeholders, the Community Engagement Lead will oversee and maintain the use of a global engagement calendar, and will play a vital role in tracking and managing engagement with Inuit communities. The Community Engagement Lead will also work collaboratively with the Manager to ensure efficient implementation of various commitments under the Inuit Impact and Benefit Agreement (IIBA) and other departmental commitments as it relates to community engagement.
- Lead the organization in tracking all community engagements within Nunavut, working collaboratively with the Baffinland Community Liaison Officers.
- Implement and maintain a Baffinland global engagement calendar to effectively track all engagement with Inuit communities
- Collaborate with stakeholders on community engagement, planning and securing travel logistics for various departmental engagements
- Maintaining a strong relationship with community stakeholders
- Provide communities with Project updates through the BCLOs
- Stay informed on current events within Nunavut, managing community engagements to ensure engagements do not coincide with major territorial, regional, or local events
- Collaborate with stakeholders to gather insights and ensure benefits programs resonate with Inuit culture, promoting inclusivity and understanding
- Provide education and guidance to various stakeholders regarding available benefits and commitments and how to navigate them effectively
- Provides support to the Manager, Community and Strategic Development as required
- High School Diploma required, College Diploma Preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in a similar role
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Extensive knowledge of Inuit Culture & Inuit Communities
- Must have good people skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and complete tasks on a timely basis.
- Proven ability to work independently and in a professional manner.
- Nunavut Land Claims Beneficiary, with a thorough knowledge of Inuit Culture is an asset.