Job Position: Chief Engineer
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Chief Engineer Job Details:
Our family of 134,000 employees and franchise affiliates share a collective passion for delivering exceptional shopping experiences and amazing food to all our customers. Our mission is to nurture the things that make life better – great experiences, families, communities, and our employees. We are a family nurturing families.
A proudly Canadian company, we started in a small town in Nova Scotia but we are now in communities of all sizes across this great country. With over 1500 stores in all 10 provinces, you may know us as Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, Lawtons Drug Stores or another of our great banners but we are all one extended family.
Ready to Make an impact?
The Chief Engineer is responsible for the overall compliance, maintenance and safe consistent operation of the Ammonia/Glycol refrigeration plant. While actively contributing to a positive, productive and safe working environment the Chief Engineer will report to the site Maintenance Manager in overseeing the engineering team to ensure the efficient operation of all refrigeration, life safety, HVAC, electrical and mechanical systems within the Retail Support Centre.
Here’s where you’ll be focusing:
Responsible for the overall maintenance and safe, consistent operation of;
– Ammonia/ Glycol Refrigeration Plant and all related systems.
– Life safety systems, including sprinkler systems and piping, sprinkler risers, valve groups, fire pump, fire hoses, extinguishers, fire alarm panel and fire dialer.
– HVAC and human comfort systems, including RTU’s, unit heaters, lighting, etc.
– Building mechanical equipment: dock plates, overhead doors, rollup doors, pumps, back- up generator, motors, fans, plumbing and electrical Systems.
– Banana / fruit ripening rooms, and related equipment.
– All tools, parts and equipment used within the RSC, and having adequate stock and supplies on hand for critical equipment failures.
– Oversee, direct and work alongside a team of shift/power engineers to ensure the various building systems are running effectively within company standard and provincial code.
– Implement and manage the preventative maintenance program ensuring program adherence
– Work closely with sub-contractors to ensure quality work is being performed in a cost efficient manner as per safety and company standards.
– Responsible for the up-to-date implementation of the Canadian B-52 code and all local provincial and city codes and bylaws.
– Ensure engineers are trained and current in all legislative, safety and company policies and procedures.
– Responsible for scheduling all engineering shifts in conjunction with maintenance management on a 24/7/365 basis with availability to support the engineering team when after-shift issues arise.
– Maintain a professional, safe and clean work environment at all times, utilizing Sobeys 5S standards.
– All other duties as assigned
What you have to offer:
- Valid 3rd Class Power Engineer Certificate and License valid in Province of employment.
- A minimum of five years Power Engineering experience, with an emphasis on large ammonia / glycol refrigeration systems.
- A minimum of three years supervisory experience.
- Ability to embrace and lead change in a fast paced and continuously improving work environment.
- Manages for results and demonstrates a high level of commitment to site goals and company objectives
- Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude embracing a team- oriented and hands-on approach
- Excellent communication, attention to detail and organizational skills
- Knowledge and direct working experience in various building systems; boilers, refrigeration systems, electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems.
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics, instructions, control sequences with a clear understanding of local codes, regulations and bylaws.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite; Word Excel, Auto Cad, including automated controlled refrigerated systems
We offer teammates competitive total compensation packages that will vary by role and location. Some websites share our job opportunities and may provide salary estimates without our knowledge. These estimates are based on similar jobs and postings for general comparison, but these numbers are not provided by or monitored for accuracy by our organization. We look forward to discussing the specific compensation details relevant to this role with candidates who are selected to move forward in the recruitment process.
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.