Job Position: Carpenter
Company: Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
Location: Chalk River, ON
Carpenter Job Details:
The Building Maintainer (Carpenter) performs a range of carpentry work associated with building maintenance and construction in an internal and external shop to fulfill customer requirements in a timely and accurate manner.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING
Functions and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Build items as described the customer requisition by interpreting sketches or plans and performing skilled carpentry work in a timely and accurate manner.
- Perform skilled and semi-skilled work associated with the repair and finishing of building maintenance and construction to ensure customer satisfaction and a safe working environment. This can include carpentry work, replacing floor coverings and light masonry work (repair), etc.
- Provide cost and labour estimates as required to assist customers in calculation and budgeting of costs of renovations and additions.
- May be required to keep a small inventory of spare parts and replenish these items as required to ensure a continuity of workflow.
- Maintain good housekeeping practices of all work areas, tools and equipment, adhering to provincial, federal and AECL regulations in order to provide a safe and efficient working environment. Attend monthly safety meetings and immediately report any safety concerns and/or infractions. Apply CNL’s Event Free Tools procedure throughout the execution of assigned work and model this behaviour and knowledge to others.
- Assist in the training, coaching and mentoring of trainees in safe workshop practices and procedures including work planning, assisting and development of skills by demonstrating techniques, describing suitable methods. Monitor, assess and correct work performance, discuss problems and improvements and report progress to supervisor and identify further training needs.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Secondary school graduation diploma and qualification as an Carpenter typically acquired through the completion of the required 7200-hour apprenticeship or equivalent.
- Certification in Tube and Clamp scaffolding
Abilities and Skills
- Knowledge of all applicable codes and standards in order to provide a safe and healthy work environment.
- Demonstrated use and endorsement of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
- Written and verbal communication skills to be able to work in multi-trade groups and communicate with CNL staff across a broad range of disciplines in order to ensure proper co-ordination and prioritization of work.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate a variety of wood working tools.
- Ability to estimate quantity, quality, size and price of materials required.
- Ability to improvise, analyze, troubleshoot and implement conceptual drawings.
Chalk River Laboratories / Ottawa ONTARIO
[The Chalk River Laboratories site] [The City of Ottawa] is located on the unceded and unsurrendered territory of the Algonquin Anishinaabe people. As an organization, CNL recognizes and appreciates their historic connection to this place. CNL also recognizes the contributions that First Nations, Métis, Inuit and other Indigenous Peoples have made, both in shaping and strengthening this community in particular, and this province and country as a whole.