Job title: Adjunct Faculty, Chemistry – Onondaga Community College
Company: Onondaga Community College
Location: Syracuse, NY
Adjunct Faculty, Chemistry – Onondaga Community College Job Details:
Adjunct Faculty, Chemistry
Category: Adjunct Faculty
Department: Chemistry – Physical Science
Locations: Syracuse, NY
Posted: Aug 18, 2023
Closes: Open Until Filled
Position ID: 166442
About Onondaga Community College:
Onondaga Community College, located in Syracuse, NY, is a college of the State University of New York (SUNY) system and one of 30 locally sponsored community colleges throughout New York State. Onondaga County is our sponsor. We offer two-year degree programs that serve as transfer opportunities to baccalaureate degree programs at four-year campuses or for direct entry to the workforce. We also offer certificate programs that can generally be completed in one year. Onondaga is a diverse educational learning community. We are committed to creating and maintaining an atmosphere where individuality is not only recognized – but encouraged – to contribute to the fabric of the campus environment. We continue to serve the educational and economic development needs of the region and proudly boast more than 40,000 alumni.
The Mathematics and Natural Sciences Department at Onondaga Community College seeks Adjunct Chemistry instructors for day, evening, and/or weekend teaching assignments. Need varies by semester but is most commonly for instructors who are qualified to teach:
- CHE-121: Intro Chemistry
- CHE-151: Basic Chem Hlth I
- CHE-171: General Chemistry I
Adjunct instructors at OCC may be asked to teach either the lecture or laboratory components of a course, are expected to develop their own course materials (e.g. lecture materials, assignments, quizzes, and exams) with the guidance of departmental faculty, and must follow college-approved course outlines for each course. A typical semester teaching load may involve a lecture section that meets two or three times a week plus one or two associated lab sections that meet once a week (comprised of the same students from lecture).
- Master’s degree in Chemistry from an accredited college or university, or Master’s degree in a related discipline that includes 18 hours of graduate chemistry coursework.
- Qualifications and credentials will be assessed for each candidate according to individual course instructional needs.
- Strong candidates will have some experience teaching at the community college level and working with diverse populations of students, especially underrepresented students.
- Bilingual in English & Spanish. (English and another language will be considered.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have computer skills to include knowledgeable use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Show proficiency in oral and written communications with the ability to generate high-quality classroom materials.
- Demonstrate the ability to clearly and engagingly present information, lead class activities, and facilitate student learning.
- Have leadership abilities to guide students in hands-on, design, or technology management in the laboratory setting.
- Demonstrate commitment to student success and academic excellence.
This position is “continuous recruitment” as vacancies are filled on an as-needed basis.
Applicants are encouraged to apply throughout the year and will be considered for the upcoming semesters.
Adjunct rate for Academic Year 2023-2024: $1,371 per credit hour
Please submit resume and cover letter that includes your availability for day, evening, and weekend courses at time of application.
Provide Unofficial transcripts from highest degree earned with application. Official transcripts must be submitted at time of hire.
Be able to provide three (3) professional references upon request.
Apply for the job now!