Job title: Residential Counselor
Company: Paradise Oaks Youth Services
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Residential Counselor Job Details:
REPORTS TO: Facility Manager
PREPARED BY: Human Resources
APPROVED BY: Program Director
Under the direct supervision of the Facility Manager; the Residential Counselor is responsible for the day to day operations of the facility they are assigned to. This includes the direct care and supervision of emotionally disturbed youth, monitoring of youth schedules and activities, implementation of the behavior modification program, and daily documentation regarding youth behaviors. The Residential Counselor ensures the facility complies with Community Care Licensing, Title 22 Regulations, Paradise Oaks Youth Services (POYS) policies & procedures, and other applicable regulations and procedures.
Not applicable at this time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Direct supervision and observation of youth during all assigned activities, areas, and shifts.
Supervision may include transportation of children using agency provided vehicles. Supervise youth during shifts in all routine hygiene, recreation, meals, visiting, and other daily and special events and activities.
2. Perform house cleaning functions and food services functions involving the service of
food, food services clean up, and the supervision of youth while dining to provide guidance in appropriate etiquette and social skills in compliance with California Code Regulations, Tittle 22, Section 87076.
3. Monitoring and following the daily youth schedules. 4. Application of appropriate disciplinary measures for youth within agency program
guidelines. Provide youth with structure, limit setting, and guidance in relation to agency rules and accepted standards of behavior. Actively intervene to correct maladaptive behaviors and model appropriate behaviors for youth.
5. Implementation of youth’s individual treatment plans as it pertains to the youth’s
6. Completion of youth documentation including, but not limited to, point sheets, behavior logs, behavior contracts, monthly reports, and quarterly reports.
7. Able to apply their training on trauma-informed care when working with the youth we serve.
8. Completion of other duties consistent with the above as assigned by direct supervisor.
Bachelor of Arts or Sciences degree OR A valid Child Development Teaching Permit OR Completed 12 semester units of Early Childhood Education, Adolescent Development, or Foster and Kinship Care Education and have at least 100 hours of experience working with youth. OR A valid certificate as an Alcohol Counselor, Drug Counselor or Alcohol and Drug Counselor, and have a least 100 hours of experience working with youth. OR A valid vocational training certificate, credential, or documentation demonstrating that the individual is a trade journeyperson who instructs youth in vocational skills and have at least 100 hours of experience working with youth as a mentor, athletic coach, teacher, vocational coach, tutor, counselor, or other relevant experience as determined by the department. OR Previously been employed as a full time staff or served as a volunteer at a group home, short-term residential therapeutic grogram, or substance abuse treatment program for at least one year. AND Shall be at least 21 years of age.
1. Must be able to interrupt physical altercations, respond to injury and/or life-threatening
crises, hear interactions among youth or call for assistance from staff, to walk, run, climb, lift 25 lbs., speak clearly, give clear and concise directions, and use their mental faculties to make appropriate judgments in all areas that affect major life activities of child care and protection.
2. Successful completion of Pro-ACT certification within 3 months of employment.
3. Valid California Driver’s License required; must meet agency requirements for driving a van.
The Residential Counselor position requires the person to communicate effectively and be flexible in work schedule to provide optimal hands-on training. Work may require frequent weekend and evening work.
The position is a non-exempt as defined under Order 5-2001, Department of Industrial Relations, Public Housekeeping Industry.
DOCUMENTATION OF HOURS
Time cards are to be completed and submitted for actual hours worked. This is a non-exempt
position and documentation of actual hours worked is required to track hours for sick days and vacation days.
I certify that I understand that this job description is not intended to be all inclusive, and that I am expected, and agree, to perform other job tasks properly assigned to me by my supervisor. I understand, and agree, that Paradise Oaks Youth Services has the legal right to revise or change job descriptions and responsibilities as business needs arise or change. I understand, and agree, that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract for employment; it is a written management tool for efficiently assigning work to employees.
Apply for the job now!