Job title: Manager, Animal Care and Shelter Programs – NYC
Company: Best Friends Animal Society
Expected salary: $66000 per year
Location: New York City, NY
Manager, Animal Care and Shelter Programs – NYC Job Details:
The Best Friend’s Mission is to do nothing short of making history by bringing about a time when there are No More Homeless Pets. Our goal is that every animal shelter in every community in the country be no kill by the end of 2025. The fact is, we have a great culture, populated by fun, dedicated and brilliant people. But we’re always looking for talented people who can help us make history, and that’s where you come in. If you want to be a part of history and end the killing of shelter pets by 2025, apply today for one of our open job opportunities!
Location: New York City (Soho) – onsite
Hiring Range: This position’s hiring range is anticipated to be $66,000 to $72,000 annually, depending on experience.
Manager interviews will begin the week of June 26th.
Position Summary: Anima Care & Shelter Programs Managers are key leaders responsible for the daily functions, efficient operation, and growth of lifesaving programs including adoption, foster care, transfer/transport, as well as overseeing the provision of care for animals in Best Friends’ program locations. Managers act with urgency, leading teams to accomplish important tasks and play a direct role in achieving Best Friends Animal Society’s no-kill mission and organizational success. Managers may receive intensive assignments in a particular program, based on organizational needs.
Culture Statement and Responsibility: We value attitude over aptitude, and we treat Kindness as a discipline because it is paramount in our culture along with our other Guiding Principles. Culture is how we talk to and treat ourselves and one another, it’s how we generate and respond to change, it’s how we plan and make decisions, it’s how we do what we do.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Treat people around you as our most valuable resource by leading with Kindness and Compassion in all your actions, build trust by demonstrating authenticity and following through on your commitments, encourage self-care and work-life balance through your own example, and work to build strong relationships with your team by creating communication loops to share and receive honest feedback. You are responsible and accountable for the culture of your team.
- Lead teams, programs, and/or facilities and promote lifesaving and care objectives throughout the department; oversee, coordinate, and conduct day-to-day lifesaving program activities including adoptions, stakeholder experience objectives, animal flow, intakes, care, outcomes, fosters, and other activities; contribute to strategies for operational efficiency, superior customer service, and increased lifesaving.
- Provide support, training, mentoring, and performance feedback; conduct performance conversations; participate in recruitment and hiring; ensure teams meet expectations for Best Friends’ program requirements and procedures; lead teams so that each person achieves their fullest potential as contributors to Best Friends mission and goals.
- Prepare and manage the department’s operational budget, forecasting, and performance metrics; participate in the maintenance of physical facilities or vehicles; develop a comprehensive knowledge of Best Friends’ programs to advise teams.
- Work collaboratively with and assist Best Friends’ team members in all areas of operations to develop, evolve, and implement efficient processes to achieve lifesaving goals; follow policies, procedures, and task lists, including accurate and timely communications, work completion, data entry, and recordkeeping.
Skills and Experience:
- At least 3-5 years of experience in leading teams or managing staff and volunteers, with a record of program growth is required.
- 2 years of experience working in an animal shelter or clinic setting. Ability to work with, leash, kennel, walk, and handle all cats and dogs, including those with health and/or behavior conditions/concerns; basic ability to identify and speak to medical and behavioral characteristics of dogs and cats.
- Customer-centric, non-judgmental approach to engaging with adopters, partners, visitors, volunteers, and colleagues; familiarity and complete comfort with an open adoption process.
- Bilingual or multi-lingual skills preferred but not required; excellent communications skills, public speaking, and presentation experience with the ability to professionally advocate Best Friends’ position on issues.
- Resourceful, get-it-done attitude; initiative to assist in any area or process; problem solving, seeking answers independently and enthusiastically; flexibility to persist until goals are achieved; ability to take accountability.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a team player, personable, professional, and able to get along with people from different backgrounds, as well as the ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with well-developed organization skills to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products; familiarity with shelter software/animal management software, or desire to learn.
- Must be able to:
- Routinely lift 40 pounds and perform daily strenuous activity including, but not limited to lifting, carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning, and bending.
- Work at a computer or driving a car for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, sitting, arm, and hand motion.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions including extreme heat and cold.
- Exposure to dogs, cats and other animals of all sizes, temperaments, and medical status.
- Ability to travel, including overnight stays, when needed.
- Valid driver’s license, meeting Best Friends Animal Society’s driver qualification standards; ability to travel, including overnight stays, when needed.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule; position includes weekends, nights, and holiday work.
About Best Friends
Best Friends recently received a 2022 Top Workplaces USA award from Energage. Visit the Best Friends Animal Society page on the Energage Top Workplaces award winners’ site to learn more. Not only do we take pride in cultivating a welcoming and supportive community and culture for our employees, but we also offer competitive benefits that make it easy to see why we were granted such an awesome award! We offer competitive pay including the opportunity to receive a discretionary bonus based on performance. We offer medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability, dependent care reimbursement, pet sitting reimbursement when traveling for work, flexible spending account, and health savings account. We offer generous paid time off up to 9 hours per month for full time employees, nine paid holidays annually, auto insurance discount, and legal and identity theft coverage. For added well-being support, we offer Pawternity Leave for employees to have time to care for their personal pets, mental health support, and an employee assistance program. We also offer a generous 401k savings plan. Do you want to love where you work and make history and end the killing of shelter pets by 2025? Look no further and apply today!
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or domestic partner status.
Applicants for employment in the US must have valid work authorization that does not now and/or will not in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the US by Best Friends Animal Society.
Apply for the job now!