Job title: HWU Wastewater Treatment Operator I
Company: City of Henderson Kentucky
Expected salary: $19.32 per hour
Location: Henderson, KY
HWU Wastewater Treatment Operator I Job Details:
YOU MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE (WITH NO DUI CONVICTIONS IN THE PREVIOUS 5 YEARS) WITH YOUR APPLICATION.
Henderson Water Utility
Classification Title: Wastewater Treatment Operator I
PURPOSE OF CLASSIFICATION
The purpose of this classification is to perform duties in the operation and maintenance of an assigned treatment plant to treat wastewater/stormwater in accordance with state, federal and local guidelines.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
· Work with Chief, Wastewater Treatment Operator II, or Maintenance employees to receive training;
· Perform general operational duties of the treatment plant but consults Chief or Wastewater Treatment Operator II when significant decisions regarding operations must me made;
· Follow standard operating procedures related to the operations of the assigned treatment plant including assigned daily operator responsibilities;
· Make routine checks and visual inspections of mechanical equipment to ensure it is operational;
· Perform daily operational tasks including washing filters, calibrating chemical pumps, reading gauges, running sludge press, filling chemical tanks, collecting samples, delivering samples, and performing assigned water quality tests;
· Monitor the rate of chemical feed and water flow;
· Monitor gauges, meters, filter press, and control panels;
· Change tanks, wash filters, and make equipment and control adjustments as necessary;
· Monitor inventory of supplies, chemicals, and operating materials and notify Treatment Operator Chief if needs arise;
· May be required to operate heavy equipment to load and remove wastes;
· Perform routine maintenance and preventative maintenance of treatment plant and related equipment as assigned;
· Perform general cleaning/janitorial work, painting, and grounds keeping as needed;
· Provide assistance to maintenance crews as needed or assigned;
· Visually inspect plant and all equipment daily to ensure proper functioning.
· Assist the HWU Treatment Operator Chief in developing a strategic plan for Operations, including long and short term objectives and related budgets, which coincide with the overall plan and goals of the Utility;
· Assist in carrying out plant and Utility goals;
· Work with other departments in the design and evaluation of projects;
· Work to control costs wherever possible while keeping focus on the long-term objectives of the plant and the Utility;
· Perform all functions related to maintaining state and federal regulatory compliance for the assigned treatment plant;
· Stay current on governmental mandates;
· Attends appropriate training seminars/workshops/meetings;
· Prepare and maintain operational reports;
· Record work activities in daily log, complete lab sheets, and maintain other appropriate documentation;
· Follow proper process control measures;
· Achieve and maintain the appropriate Kentucky Division of Water operator’s certification.
· Ensure personal compliance with all state safety regulations and HWU safety policies;
· Ensure proper housekeeping in plant and surrounding area;
· Attend appropriate safety meetings as requested;
· Participate in accident investigations as requested;
· Report and/or correct all identified safety hazards;
· Maintain personal safety equipment appropriately;
· Report all work related accidents, incidents, and near-misses to supervisor and/or safety department;
· Participate in finding solutions to safety or health related hazards;
· Get involved in showing new employees the proper safety procedures;
· Participate in Safety Committee as requested;
· Stay current with computer systems including SCADA;
· Maintain a positive attitude with other HWU employees;
· Maintains regular and predictable in-person attendance during regular business hours of the Water Utility is required.
· Maintain good public relations;
· Maintain availability to respond to emergency calls 24 hours a day 7 days a week;
· Respond to emergencies as needed;
· Receive off-hours emergency and maintenance calls;
· Direct calls to on-call System Operations Center personnel as appropriate;
· Work various shifts as assigned by HWU Treatment Operator Chief;
· May be called in as necessary in the case of the other operator illness or emergency.
· Must undergo and successfully complete drug test and alcohol screening prior to employment and undergo and successfully complete future drug test and/or alcohol screening pursuant to the City’s Drug and Alcohol policy.
Performs related duties as required, necessary, or assigned.
High school diploma or GED and a valid driver’s license are required. Also, due to the requirements of Kentucky’s Division of Water, this job requires continuous progression towards a Class IV Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator certification (and continual maintenance of certification, thereafter). All new candidates must obtain a minimum of a Class I wastewater license within 18 months of hire.
Desired: Training, education, and experience with wastewater treatment facilities. or wastewater treatment certification.
Data Utilization: Requires the ability to determine, calculate, tabulate or summarize data/information including performing subsequent actions in relation to these computational operations.
Human Interaction: Requires the ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Materials Utilization: Requires the ability to operate and control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials requiring complex and/or rapid adjustments.
Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive and/or advisory data and information.
Mathematical Aptitude: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; the ability to utilize principles of fractions; and the ability to interpret graphs.
Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert moderate physical effort in light to medium work, typically involving some combination of climbing stairs, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (5-50 pounds).
Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, temperature, and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents or toxic agents.
This job description does not constitute a contract of employment. Any oral or written statements or promises to the contrary are hereby expressly disavowed and should not be relied upon by any prospective or existing employees. This job description is subject to change by the employer (Henderson Water Utility) at the discretion of the employer, or as the needs of the employer and/or requirements of the job change. Henderson Water Utility explicitly reserves the right to modify any of the provisions of this job description at any time and without notice. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties or essential functions does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Apply for the job now!