Job Position: Heavy Equipment Operator (Mine Operations) – Contract
Company: De Beers Group
Location: Northwest Territories
Heavy Equipment Operator (Mine Operations) – Contract Job Details:
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happen.
We are the world’s leading diamond company, powered by thousands of people around the world who are driven to support thriving local communities, protect the natural environment, and stand with women and girls, focused on Building Forever.
If you like chasing demanding targets, thrive on making decisions in the pursuit of brilliance, and enjoy the support of the world’s finest experts, we have a place for you.
De Beers Group of Companies has an exciting opportunity for strong and committed individual to join the Mine Operations Department on a two-year long-term contract that will include vacation entitlement, benefits and bonus opportunity at the Gahcho Kué Mine Site based in the Northwest Territories. Reporting to the Mining Supervisor and working a two (2) week in/ two (2) week out rotation, this position is responsible for operating heavy mobile equipment such as mine haul trucks, large track dozers, large wheel loaders, excavators, and shovels to maximize the mine production of ore and waste in the mine pit. The ideal candidate is one who is committed to safe work practices and strives for zero harm. If you are looking for the opportunity to work for a stable company, at a safe and established mine, we want to hear from you.
- Safely and skillfully operating a variety of heavy mobile equipment and attachments to excavate, grade and/or move hard rock;
- Conducting daily safety checks and inspections of the equipment before operating;
- Monitoring equipment and reporting any problems according to mine operating procedures;
- Following company procedures and standards such as safety, environmental, and code of conduct; and
- Communicating effectively via two-way radio.
Reporting to the Mine Supervisor, the role is based in the Mine Operations department. This is a site-based position with a 14 days in/14 days out rotation and is a two-year long-term contract position.
- High school diploma or equivalent life skills;
- On-the-job training and experience, resulting in being qualified to run at least three of the following pieces of equipment:
- Excavators/Shovel (PC5500/2000/1250/390/210) Loaders (WA1200/900/600/500), Dozers/Rubber Tire Dozers, Graders, and/or Haul Trucks (980/930/830)
- Three (3) years’ experience in the mining industry – at remote sites and/or in open pit mines
- Ability to safely work 12-hour day and night shifts on a rotational basis; and
- Ability to work in a safety-oriented, fast-paced, cross-cultural environment.
- Applicants will need to list make and model numbers of equipment they are qualified to operate on their resume;
- This is not a training position and only those that meet the above requirements will be considered;
- Preference will be given to Members of the Deninu Kué, Lutsel K’e Dene First Nation, North Slave Métis Alliance, Northwest Territory Métis Nation, Tlicho Government, or Yellowknives Dene First Nation, followed by non-indigenous residents of the Northwest Territories.
Who We Are
Active in Canada for over 60 years, we are part of De Beers Group, the world’s leading diamond company. Globally, we are a team of more than 20,000 people, with operations in Canada, Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa, and activities across the diamond value chain from exploration to diamond jewelry retail. Our unwavering focus on sustainability and Building Forever fuels our commitment to advance standards across the diamond industry, protect the natural world, partner with local communities, and accelerate economic inclusion to support diversity in our business and beyond.
In Canada, we have more than 600 employees working at offices in Calgary, Toronto and Yellowknife, actively exploring for new diamond opportunities, recovering diamonds at the joint venture Gahcho Kué mine in the Northwest Territories, and closing and rehabilitating two mines. We are also advancing the Chidliak Project to establish a technologically advanced diamond mine on Baffin Island using FutureSmart Mining™ principles.
At De Beers, we believe in the power of working in partnership with communities to create lasting, positive impacts that endure long after we recover the last diamond. Our inclusive and diverse workplace values mining with respect for the environment and nearby communities, and we seek team players who share our passion for Making Life Brilliant.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health, and the well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI)
As a global #HeForShe Thematic Champion, De Beers is committed to promoting an equitable, inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential. Please inform us should there be any special requirements that should be considered as part of your application.
Sustainability is at the heart of our decision-making – it is how we do business. Building Forever is key to our purpose as it represents our ambitious and holistic sustainability framework and is central to our ability to deliver long-term value to our communities and partners. This shapes how we protect our social and environmental license to operate, build a long-term legacy in our host communities and earn consumers’ trust in our diamonds that they can wear with pride.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential.
This opportunity is open to a paid referral incentive according to the Employee Referral Policy (HRM.AD.21.00). Referral incentives are applicable to De Beers Group internal employees only.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.
How to Apply?
If you believe you’re a great fit for the role of Heavy Equipment Operator (Mine Operations) – Contract Apply Now!
Also, Check out More Heavy Equipment Operator (Mine Operations) – Contract Vacancies in Canada.