Job Position: Executive Sous Chef | Valhalla Hotel & Conference Centre
Company: Silver Hotel Group
Location: Sudbury, ON
Executive Sous Chef | Valhalla Hotel & Conference Centre Job Details:
Executive Sous Chef
We are currently recruiting for an Executive Chef to join our dynamic team! Working under the Executive Chef, the Executive Sous Chef must assist the management in the development of new concepts by creating and introducing new menus within our restaurants and banqueting areas. A major responsibility is to create standardized recipes, keep food costs at a minimum, and at the same time, initiate and sustain ongoing research in the F&B industry in staying fresh and building new concepts in the Culinary world. The Executive Sous Chef maintains controls and ensures quality, consistency, and hygiene both for products and equipment in the restaurant and kitchen. Developing staff, and maintaining the daily functions of the F&B venues and Kitchen Operations is essential. The Executive Sous Chef is responsible for providing support to the Executive Chef in the day-to-day operation and leadership of the Kitchen and Stewarding department. They are responsible for supporting the consistent preparation of innovative and creative cuisine of the highest quality, presentation and flavour for the restaurant, banquets, and other F&B facilities, resulting in outstanding guest satisfaction. The incumbent is responsible for providing leadership and coaching to existing team members and ensuring the Hotel’s culinary vision is achieved. This is a hands-on role, working alongside the team members, while also working collaboratively with the Executive Chef to help lead and manage the execution of the Food & Beverage vision for the hotel. Along with being in tune with current food and beverage trends, the role requires a leader who is passionate, creative and brings strong food and beverage presentation skills.
What We Offer
- Work with like-minded team members who are passionate about their work and keep things fun, every day!
- Working with a reputable brand and being part of Silver Hotel Group, a company committed to ensuring a culture of respect, appreciation, and fun (among other things of course)!
- A fast-paced environment in an exciting industry, where you get the chance to meet people from all over the world. It’s a good place to be right now!
- Education Reimbursement for you (and your children!)
- RRSP Matching Program
- Annual Wellness Credit
- Team Member Referral Program
- Leadership Development
- Team Building Events
- Culture of Recognition Program
- Hotel Stay Discounts
- Ensures that all team members working in the Back of House operations (BOH) are performing to the standards set by the Executive Chef and the Hotel;
- Maintains financial and labor percentages set by the Executive Chef by supervision of product ordering, receiving and utilization, and appropriate scheduling of personnel;
- Support the Executive Chef in providing leadership to culinary team members and ensuring an elevated experience in all food and beverage areas within the hotel.
- Lead in the day-to-day operation of the Kitchen and Stewarding teams, which includes driving a culture of performance and high engagement through recognition, training, and coaching.
- Prepares and instructs others to prepare a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables, and other food items for cooking;
- Assumes responsibility for the quality of products served;
- Consistently follows standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards, and kitchen rules, policies, and procedures;
- Ensures sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period;
- Maintains a clean and sanitary workstation area including tables, cooking equipment, and refrigeration equipment;
- Facilitates employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement;
- Prepares as well as supervises kitchen staff responsible for all daily items to ensure that all cooking methods, garnishes, and portion sizes are followed per standardized recipes;
- Assists the Executive Chef with the completion of inventories, cost control, and food waste monitoring and reduction;
- Assumes full responsibility for all culinary operations in the absence of the Executive Chef;
- Assists the Executive Chef with the supervision and training of all kitchen employees, ensuring that all sanitation and safety procedures are followed and maintained;
- Consistently maintains and checks standards for quality, cost, eye appeal, and flavor;
- Assists Executive Chef in weekly scheduling to ensure proper staffing levels to maximize profitability while ensuring that maximum production is achieved;
- Makes recommendations and inspects all equipment to ensure safety and cleanliness;
- Works in any station or completes all duties as assigned by the Executive Chef;
- Works with the front-of-the-house staff;
- Assists in the ordering, receiving, storing, and handling of all food deliveries;
- Reports guests’ feedback to the Executive Chef and any actions that may have been taken;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What We are Looking for…
- Culinary Degree is preferred;
- Passionate about food;
- Passionate energetic personality with a team-focused attitude;
- A strong desire to exceed guest expectations and attention to detail;
- Follow through on daily tasks and key responsibilities, driving a culture of teamwork and fun!;
- 3-5 years’ experience as Sous Chef; or Executive Sous Chef within a full-service hotel environment
- Minimum 5 years culinary experience including a minimum of 3 years short order experience is preferred;
- Diploma or completion post-secondary culinary program preferred,
- Current Food Safe Certification
- Proven time management skills and ability to work under pressure;
- Experience working in a unionized environment is a definite asset.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication and leadership skills;
- Possess a positive attitude and be a problem solver;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays;
- Ability to frequently lift/move up to 50 lbs. and occasionally lift/move up to 100 lbs;
About Valhalla Hotel & Conference Centre
The Valhalla Hotel & Conference Centre is both the largest full-service hotel in Northwestern Ontario and the most unique. Located just minutes away from the Thunder Bay International Airport and near to some of the city’s main attractions, The Valhalla Hotel & Conference Centre is perfectly situated for any traveling to Thunder Bay. With a wide array of accommodations ranging from Executive Suites to Family Rooms and even Pet-Friendly Rooms, the Hotel boasts 265 rooms meeting every traveler’s needs.
Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S. and ranges from internationally branded full and select-service hotels to independent and boutique hotels. At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, and Recognition. As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention. Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture.
Help us build something exceptional!
The Silver Hotel Group believes in outstanding hospitality and takes seriously its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources at 905-362-9503. The Silver Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
How to Apply?
If you believe you’re a great fit for the role of Executive Sous Chef | Valhalla Hotel & Conference Centre Apply Now!
Also, Check out More Executive Sous Chef | Valhalla Hotel & Conference Centre Vacancies in Canada.