Job title: Direct Support Workers- Laupahoehoe area
Company: Full Life Hawaii
Location: Laupahoehoe, HI
Direct Support Workers- Laupahoehoe area Job Details:
Do you want a job that combines your desire to be active outside in the community and at the same time assisting people with developmental disabilities?
Direct Support Workers are needed to assist Full Life’s participants with their pursuit of participation in sports, hobbies, volunteering and community events.
We are looking for a Direct Support Worker to assist in learning life skills so as to move toward independent living.
Full Life is hiring Direct Support Workers and Caregivers; choose Full Life and be a part of an ‘ohana that supports adults and children to live self-directed and purposeful lives.
Join our team and make a real difference in someone’s life.
Visit our website at FullLifeHawaii.org to learn more about the valuable work our organization is doing for the developmentally disabled population.
- Health insurance for eligible employees or a monthly stipend if you already have health insurance through a spouse or other insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 3% Match for 401k
- Cell phone stipend
- Referral bonuses
- Mileage reimbursement
- Bonuses when the organization meets goals
- Regular activities with the Full Life ‘Ohana
- Access to infection control specialist and free personal protective equipment to help employees and participants mitigate COVID-19
See job description below:
JOB TITLE: Direct Support Worker REPORTS TO: Program Coordinator
JOB SUMMARY: The Direct Support Worker will assist the participant to achieve their dreams, goals, desires, and needs as stated in the Individual Service Plan (ISP) as well as provide specific supports identified in the Individual Plan (IP) and Plans and Approaches.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Implement the approved Individual Plan This includes activities specific to each participant and each IP is referenced for specific job duties.
2. Follow self-determination principles:
- Support their right to choose how they live their life, where and with whom.
- Support the participant in positive relationships.
- Support the participant to contribute to their community in a meaningful way.
- Support the participant to take control and authority of their lives, resources, decisions and actions.
- Support the participant to increase their level of independence through selfhelp and social skills.
- Support them to have power to make decisions to control their lives.
- Help people to determine and realize their dreams.
- Treat people with dignity and respect (make risks possible by providing a safety net that supports growth in a safe environment.
- Support participants to find alternatives to paid activities and conserve their resources.
- Provide a “Can-Do” attitude as long as it is legal and harms no one.
3. Assure the participant’s rights and the protection of those rights.
4. Assure the participant’s protection from abuse and/or neglect and report any suspicion such to appropriate person(s).
5. Comply with all HIPAA regulations. Treat all information regarding the participant as confidential and disclose such information only to persons with a written release from the legal representative.
6. Interact with the participant and their circle of support in an emotionally supportive and therapeutic manner and practice effective techniques for reinforcing appropriate participant behavior.
7. Maintain accurate progress records for all areas where data keeping is required.
8. Assist the participant in maintaining a sanitary, safe, clean and healthy environment (this includes housekeeping duties as described in the IP).
9. Meet with supervisor for site visits as requested by your supervisor.
10. Represent Full Life in a professional and collaborative manner when interacting with families and the community at large.
OTHER DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
11. Provide Personal Care assistance.
12. Attend to the health care needs of the participant, assuring any medical orders and diets are followed.
13. Transport the participant to health care providers and other scheduled activities as assigned.
14. Follow the behavior support plans and strategies, intervening when aggressive and/or inappropriate behaviors occur.
15. Provide supervision, socialization and access to community resources.
16. Comply with the Full Life Personnel Handbook.
17. Comply with the Full Life Safety Program.
18. Attend meetings and training sessions as planned and required.
19. Provide hours of service according to needs of the participant.
20. Perform any other responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to complete the Full Life Orientation.
- Knowledge in nutrition, housekeeping, meal preparation, hygiene.
- Skills in problem solving.
- Current Certification of CPR and basic First-Aid.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to read documents and written instruction.
- Ability to write and maintain accurate, clear and concise records.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and lift to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to use telephone and fax machine.
- Ability to maintain a patient and positive attitude.
- Ability to drive an automobile in a safe manner.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITIONS:
- Valid driver’s license.
- Clean Traffic Abstract
- No history/conviction of abuse, neglect, theft or other job related activities (within the previous 10 years).
- Current two-step TB clearance.
This position requires work to be done in various locations. This may include inside the participants’ home, outdoors, in local businesses, and in all kinds of weather.
1. Automobile (your personal automobile)
2. Facsimile machine (to fax timesheet and documentation)
3. Adaptive Equipment as specified in the IP (wheelchair, lifts, walker, computer, communication assistance device, etc.)
4. When the IP indicates, this may include household appliances such as vacuum, dishwasher, washing machine/dryer, stove/oven, microwave, etc.
5. Other equipment as identified in the IP.
DAYS/HOURS OF WORK:
The Individual Plan determines days/hours of work for each participant. Schedules are participant driven and remain flexible to meet their needs.
1. Use of judgment or discretion in problem solving
2. Working with minimal on-site supervision
3. Following verbal and written instructions
4. Working cooperatively with others (participant, family, community members)
5. Coordinating and organizing time to meet the IP activities
6. Meeting timelines
7. Requires alertness to respond to audio and visual cues from the participant and environment.
8. Respond to emergencies
9. Respond to behavioral and health related incidents
Requires assisting participants with physical movement as required and may include: in/out of automobiles, in/out of swimming pools, up/down steps, pushing a wheelchair, physically assisting the participant to walk, get in/out of bathtub/shower, etc. This would include transferring, lifting, bending, kneeling and pushing. Specific assistance is identified in each IP.
Physical demands of the position will also be dictated by the specific activities of each participant IP. For example: if housekeeping is an activity of the IP, stooping, squatting, running a vacuum and mopping may be physical demands.
Must understand and carry out oral and written instructions. Requires oral and written communication with supervisor, co-workers, participant/family and others.
Ability to understand and respond to non-verbal communications as required by participant.
The exposure category designation for the Direct Support Worker is category one. This means that the employee provides support that involves a potential for contact with mucous membrane or skin contact with blood, body fluids or tissues or a potential for spills or splashes of them.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. From time to time other duties may be assigned.
I have read the job description for the Direct Support Worker. I understand and agree to follow these responsibilities as stated.
Apply for the job now!