Job Position: Cook
Company: The Salvation Army
Location: Yellowknife, NT
Cook Job Details:
The NWT Resource Centre Cook will be responsible to prepare and cook nutritious meals for 60-100 people twice each day and be an integral component of fulfilling the mission of The Salvation Army in the community.
Menu and Meal Preparation:
· Creation of daily menu plans based on food donations to be served in Resource Center 2nd floor dining room and 1st Floor shelter.
· Prepares and serves nutritious meals for lunch and supper as outlined on menus in accordance with applicable food service and safety regulations.
· Provides lunch time serving assistance to shelter staff during weekend shifts.
· Provides one day meal prep for shift change.
· Efficiently uses resources related to food donations.
· Adapts work practices within specific parameters to ensure the efficient and timely delivery of food services – based on prescribed schedule by designated programs.
· Works in conjunction with community groups for special feasts or meals as assigned.
Works in conjunction with The Salvation Army Program staff providing for daily and special event food service’s needs.
Meal Service and Clean-up
· Serves prepared meals at lunch and supper serving times in accordance with applicable food service and safety regulations.
· Serves lunch time meal to shelter staff during weekend shifts.
· Lunch and supper meal clean up to include, but not limited to, dishes, cooking and eating utensils, all cookware, all serving tables, kitchen floors.
Administration of Kitchen:
· Always maintains high level of cleanliness and organization within the kitchen, dining room, storage areas, cooler and freezer.
· Supervision of any kitchen assistance, volunteers and students
· Ensures all kitchen equipment in good repair.
· Reports all kitchen equipment repairs or replacement needs to Operations Manager
· Creates and maintains standards of sanitation, safety and food preparation and storage.
· Organizes the work of food services for support staff.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Food Safe Certification
- High School graduate
- Completion of recognized Cooking Certification
- One to three years of prior related experience in high volume cooking
- Experience in nutritional needs of homeless and addicted population
- WHIMIS, First Aid would be considered an asset.
- Criminal Record Check required.
Successful candidates, prior to hiring, may be required to provide:
- Valid Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Valid First Aid certificate
- The Salvation Army on-line certification for abuse prevention
- Clear internal abuse registry check
- Participate in mandatory yearly training.
· Standing for long periods of time on a daily basis to prepared meals.
· Working with Sharp utensils daily – possibility of cuts
· Utilization of varied equipment which generates extreme heat – possibility of burns.
· As Cook, there are often situations when flexible hours are required, possibly creating personal inconvenience.
· Stress may be involved when working with staff who must work daily with “high demand” clients.
· In addition, this is a “ministry” position and will be a demanding position from a spiritual point of view. The successful candidate should anticipate and be prepared for the spiritual dimension of the position.
Hours of Work: Must be available for some days of the week between 9:00 & 18:00
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.