Job Position: School Wellness Specialist
Company: Government of Yukon
Expected salary: $89704 – 104043 per year
Location: Whitehorse, YT
School Wellness Specialist Job Details:
This is a until -filled competition. Candidates are encouraged not to delay submitting their application as this posting can close at any time after 10 business days with 24-hours posted notice. Resumes will be screened at regular intervals until the position is filled or the competition closes, whichever is earliest.
This is a one (1), 5-year term position. The eligibility list will be used to fill other anticipatory term positions over the next 12 months mn n
Success for Each Learner
Our vision is for all Yukon people to possess a desire for and appreciation of lifelong learning, a strong commitment to their communities and the knowledge and skills required to live meaningful, productive and rewarding lives.
Reporting to the Manger of Wellbeing, The School Wellness Specialist provides a wide variety of direct supports and consultation to students, families, and school staff. The position works collaboratively with students, families, community service providers, and educators to identify student concerns and to provide supportive services which contribute to the success of students in the education system. They assist students, families, and schools in managing or resolving personal, emotional, mental, social and behavioural matters that may affect student’s overall health, well-being, and their ability to learn effectively. The position plays an important role in developing educator capacity in schools through consultation, direct services, training, and resources. The School Wellness Specialist brings expertise in many areas including mental health and wellness, family functioning, safety planning, threat/risk assessment, community outreach, critical incidents, and crisis response. The role is broad and varies depending on the needs of individual schools.
If you have any questions about this position, please contact: Liza Manolis, Manager Wellbeing at
If you have questions about our recruitment process, please contact: Sylvain Racine, Human Resources at
Important application requirements
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet each of the following qualifications. Emphasize how your work experiences and related duties align with the essential and asset qualifications listed below. Note that selection for further consideration is based solely on the information you provide in your resume.
For more information on how to prepare and submit your resume visit this resource page on .
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or a related field
- Experience providing Social Work services including assessments, consultation, case management, psycho-social counselling, crisis intervention and referrals
- Experience working with children/youth experiencing social/emotional difficulties
- Training in Critical Incident Stress Response/Debriefing and/or Violent Threat Risk Assessment is an asset
- Experience working in rural settings is an asset
- Fluency in French is an asset
Candidates who have education, training, and/or experience equivalent to the essential qualifications listed above may be equally considered.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
To best support the achievement of key strategic and business objectives, candidates may be assessed on:
- Critical thinking, time management and problem solving skills
- Ability to provide a developmentally responsive, trauma informed approach to service
- Knowledge of community resources
- Ability to respond to crisis, strong stress management skills, and tact
- Cross-cultural awareness and ability to remain objective
- Interpersonal skills and personal responsibility
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams
Conditions of Employment:
- Security Clearance, including Vulnerable Sector Check
- Valid class 5 driver’s license
- Willingness and ability to travel within Yukon
- Eligible to be Registered as a Social Worker in a Canadian College of Social Workers
What can we offer you?
You will love what the has to offer! If that’s not enough, we also offer a full , , , and opportunities.
22 January 2024
19 April 2024