Job Position: Child Care Educator (Full Time)
Company: YMCA of Greater Saint John
Location: Saint John, NB
Child Care Educator (Full Time) Job Details:
The YMCA of Greater Saint John is working hard to address the critical issue’s facing the region; the health crisis, population decline, youth outmigration and child poverty. At the Y, we are striving to build a diverse and inclusive community where each person is valued for the unique perspectives and contributions they bring.
The Y offers a diverse set of programs at 19 locations in the city and surrounding municipalities. We are a community of 450 employees and 500 volunteers. If you don’t have a Y story yet—now is your opportunity to get involved. We invite you to come see what the power of belonging can do for you, your career and your community.
We are currently looking for a full-time Child Care Educator to join our Child Care and Camping Department. The Educator will play an essential role in children’s learning and growth, including physical and social development, in a safe and child-centred environment. As an Educator, you will be responsible for providing programming within our Child Care Programs for all our participants. As an Educator, your primary focus is to interact and actively engage with children aged 12 months – 5 years. Educators will be responsible for completing/planning weekly program plans based on the children’s interests. Individuals will form relationships with children and their families to create a safe, welcoming environment for all.
Shifts are full time between 7:30 am to 6:00 pm.
- Understands and complies with the New Brunswick Child Care facilities standards and Abuse Protocol Practices.
- Plans and implements programming in accordance with the YMCA and New Brunswick standards.
- Understands and complies with YMCA Playing to Learn and the New Brunswick Early Learning and Child Care Curriculum.
- Demonstrates a commitment to children’s learning and is responsive to research.
- Understands each child and their family’s specific needs and plans for successful outcomes.
- Ensures that all daily routines are followed, documented and completed in a timely fashion.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures outlined in the YMCA of Greater Saint John employee and child care policy manuals. Adheres to record keeping as outlined by the Department of Social Development. Ensures that confidentiality is maintained at all times.
- Weekly documentation is to be completed and recorded each week. It must be submitted to your supervisor.
- Participate in quarterly training sessions to continue ongoing learning and develop new skills.
- Other duties as assigned by your reporting supervisor.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 1-year experience working in a Child Care, After School or Youth program.
- An early Childhood Education Certificate or Diploma is an asset.
- Knowledge of the New Brunswick Curriculum Framework and/ or Play to Learn is an asset.
- Working knowledge of computers and willingness to learn app software
- Flexibility regarding assigned working hours.
- Strong work ethic and excellent organizational skills.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- First Aid/CPR
What We Offer:
- YMCA membership
- In-house training and professional development opportunities
- Uniform and uniform allowance
- Personal “Y Day”
- Competitive compensation package, including benefits and pension plan
- Opportunities for career growth
- Opportunities for cross-training across departments
- Paid job-related certifications (i.e. First aid/CPR)
- Employment is contingent on having a clean Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search and clearance from the Department of Social Development.
We ask qualified applicants to submit their cover letters and resumes. The YMCA of Greater Saint John appreciates the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.