Job title: Department Chairperson – Psychology
Company: Delaware State University
Location: Dover, DE
Department Chairperson – Psychology Job Details:
The Department of Psychology is seeking a qualified and experienced candidate to serve as Department Chair. This department falls under the Wesley College of Health and Behavioral Sciences (WCHBS). The Department Chair advocates for the mission of the department and acts as its representative to the administration and outside constituencies. Also, the Department Chair acts as a mentor and facilitator for the faculty and staff within the department and as an administrator of the department in accomplishing necessary managerial tasks. This position reports directly to the Dean of WCHBS. * Facilitate the academic and pre-professional programs of the department.
- Promote the academic quality of the department and discipline.
- Supervise, evaluate and mentor all department faculty members and support staff.
- Manage faculty leave and encourage professional development.
- Process paperwork and manage external grants for various committees, special programs and development projects.
- Manage the departmental assessment process and conduct periodic reviews.
- Manage specialized facilities (labs, technical equipment, instruments, etc.)
- Organize and preside at department meetings.
- Serve as a liaison and provide information to administrative offices, faculty committees, ad hoc committees, accrediting organization and other groups and departments.
- Respond to student inquiries, degree applications, complaints, requests, etc.
- Supervise new student recruitment, retention major and balance advising assignments.
- Must keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Development of viable new curricular offerings in the field.
- Participation in research, writing and ultimate responsibility for any necessary self-study or program-related reports.
- Management of the student learning assessment plan and the program review process for the department to identify needed improvements to student learning
- Responsible for departmental budget planning and fiscal management.
- Development of strategic planning for growing and sustaining programs which.
- Responsible for overseeing the department’s process for recruiting and retaining students.
- Supervision of the teaching, advisement, and other duties performed by Faculty members to meet department academic goals
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean or Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs
As an administrator, the chairperson has the primary responsibility for communicating the department’s views to the University concerns. In consultation with department members, the Department Chair has the primary responsibility and authority to: * Formulate and communicate recommendations for hiring, tenure, promotion, retention and evaluation of faculty and departmental support staff.
- Establish and monitor departmental budget priorities and allocations.
- Recommend teaching assignments and teaching times to the dean and regulate faculty workloads
- Recommend leaves and special assignments to the dean.
- Develop and articulate departmental goals.
- Ensure that faculty in the department are fully engaged in departmental and general faculty duties.
- Must hold a terminal degree in Psychology and at least three years of demonstrated leadership experience at an accredited higher educational institution.
- Record of scholarship, teaching, and professional service commensurate with the University’s requirements for tenure in the rank of associate or full professor.
- Evidence of having a collaborative and transformative leadership style.
- Evidence of having successful supervisory experience in higher education.
- Knowledge of the American Psychological Standards for accredited programs.
- Experience with administrative academic leadership, acquisition of extramural grant funding, and the generation of traditional and online programs.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community. The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. The University is committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Apply for the job now!