Job Position: Camp Glenburn Senior Counsellor
Company: YMCA of Greater Saint John
Location: Kingston, NB
Camp Glenburn Senior Counsellor Job Details:
The YMCA of Greater Saint John is working hard to address the critical issues facing the region; the health crisis, population decline, youth outmigration and child poverty. At the Y, we are striving to build a diverse and inclusive community where each person is valued for the unique perspectives and contributions they bring.
The Y offers a diverse set of programs at 19 locations in the city and surrounding municipalities. We are a community of 450 employees and 500 volunteers. If you don’t have a Y story yet – now is your opportunity to get involved. We invite you to come to see what the power of belonging can do for you, your career and your community.
Summer Day Camps are rich in the history of the YMCA of Greater Saint John. With 8 locations and over 80 programs to choose from the Y’s Day Camp programs are a popular choice for children and parents of school aged children. The Y offers both traditional camp programs as well as specialty programs allowing children to learn new skills or participate in some of their favourite activities during the summer.
- Dedicated to the positive development of children and youth and appreciate the mission of the YMCA of Greater Saint John and YMCA Camping.
- Supervise and provide child care for a cabin of up to 8 children, ages 5-16 years and provide strong and positive leadership
- Plan, organize and deliver daily activities for camps.
- Supervise, facilitate, and participate in camp programming; Camp wide activities, cabin activities, interest groups, free swim, etc.
- Able to provide leadership specific to the various Camp activities to all campers, including those from diverse backgrounds.
- Confident; mature, enthusiastic and ready to perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Understands and complies with the New Brunswick Child Care facilities standards, Child Protection Practices.
- Plans and implements a consistent child-centered program in accordance with YMCA and New Brunswick standards.
- Understands YMCA Healthy Child Development Program and incorporates into programming.
- Ensures all safety, emergency, and lifeguarding procedures are followed in the event of an incident as trained by the association
- Acts immediately and appropriately to secure the safety of participants in the event of an emergency.
- To assist in other Camp operations as requested by the Camp Director.
- To strive to ensure that every child who attends Camp Glenburn is treated with respect, understanding and compassion.
- Responsible in ensuring that Camp Glenburn remains a peaceful, positive and educational environment for all its campers, CITs staff, resource and guests.
- Each staff member is expected to be a positive role model in all aspects of camp life, being particularly conscious of personal behavior including dress, speech, etiquette, and relationships with others.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Ongoing or completed Bachelor’s Degree, Community College diploma or similar from an accredited institution.
- Previous experience in a Day Camp or Youth Program setting.
- Flexibility regarding assigned working hours, site locations.
- Strong work ethic and excellent organizational skills.
- An excellent team player able to share cooperative leadership with other staff.
- Strong communication, customer service skills, a team player.
- Social Development Clearance Check.
- First Aid/CPR certification is considered an asset.
- Employment is contingent on having a clean Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search.
If this is an opportunity that aligns with your qualifications and interest, please submit your resume and cover letter by January 28th, 2024. The YMCA of Greater Saint John appreciates the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.