Job Position: Associate Dean – Undergraduate Programs and Student Success – Faculty of Business
Company: University of Prince Edward Island
Location: Prince Edward Island
Associate Dean – Undergraduate Programs and Student Success – Faculty of Business Job Details:
Expressions of interest and applications are invited for the full-time Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and Student Success position in the Faculty of Business (FoB). This is a three-year position, with eligibility for an additional three-year term, subject to satisfactory performance and review by the Dean and a Review Committee after two years. This internal search is open only to full-time faculty members of the FoB, University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI). This appointment is subject to final budgetary approval.
Reporting to the Dean, the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and Student Success will lead undergraduate program planning, development, and implementation. The position holder will also be a champion for student engagement, support, and success.
The Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and Student Success promotes and supports activities related to student progress and student experience. The Associate Dean – Undergraduate Programs and Student Success will play a key role in supporting the strategic priorities of the FoB, including cultivating student success, promoting excellence in student and faculty development, assurance of learning, enhancing EDI and Indigenization, and leading the development and maintenance of a cohesive curriculum that meets or exceeds established business education standards.
The Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and Student Success may assume the role of Acting Dean in the Dean’s absence. They may also represent the FoB provincially, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
The Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and Student Success will:
- Demonstrate and lead with passion, energy, and a firm commitment to undergraduate business education and student success
- Ensure that academic standards of excellence in teaching are maintained in the FoB and reflect the FoB’s values and commitment to experiential learning
- Coordinate and facilitate the development of innovative programs and program expansion as needed
- Actively create formal program reports as part of the FoB’s quality assurance of undergraduate programs as required by UPEI, MPHEC, and AACSB
- In collaboration with the Dean, Associate Dean for Graduate Programs and Research, and FoB faculty and staff, facilitate strategic planning and priority setting within the FoB
- Ensure adherence to the academic policies established by the FoB and UPEI
- Support the strategic recruitment, marketing, and promotional efforts of the FoB
- Actively manage current and potential students to create a safe, inclusive, and enriching learning environment
- Serving as an integral part of the FoB’s Senior Leadership Team and pivotal contributor to the FoB’s strategic planning and future endeavours
- Working closely with the Dean on day-to-day matters regarding the FoB’s undergraduate programs, including new programs
- Actively working with the Dean, Associate Dean for Graduate Programs and Research, internal faculty and staff members, and external stakeholders as part of the FoB’s strategic priority to achieve AACSB accreditation
- This involves taking a leading role in the multi-year project, including playing a central position within the FoB Steering Committee on AACSB Accreditation, chairing various sub-committees as needed (e.g., assurance of learning, teaching excellence, social impact, faculty qualification standards, etc.), and writing reports and deliverables as part of the AACSB accreditation process
- Collaborating with the Dean’s office in preparing the undergraduate program course timetable and the assignment of teaching duties based on feedback from faculty members
- Recommending to the Dean the hiring of Sessional Instructors for undergraduate programs as per relevant articles of the collective agreement
- Supporting the Dean in overseeing and managing the quality delivery of the FoB’s BBA program at Universities of Canada, Egypt (UCE)
- Serving on standing FoB/UPEI Committees, including the FoB Curriculum Committee (Chair) and leading undergraduate curriculum development, review, and approval processes
- Serving as the Dean’s alternate on UPEI’s Academic Review and Planning Committee (APCC) concerning undergraduate programming and serving on various ad-hoc committees and working groups as directed by the Dean
- Developing, overseeing, and recommending new and existing articulations and partnership agreements with various stakeholders per the FoB’s undergraduate programs and potential benefits to UPEI’s undergraduate students
- Working closely with the FoB Academic Support and Student Success Assistant concerning student advising and engagement
- Reviewing, coordinating, and recommending course transfer credits and student transfer requests as part of the FoB’s and UPEI’s policies and articulation agreements
- Working closely with the UPEI Registrar’s office on undergraduate programs and student success matters
- Reviewing and offering feedback on any MPHEC graduate proposals submitted by other Maritime institutions
- Supporting the Dean and playing a significant role in student recruitment and onboarding, including coordinating undergraduate Open House days and New Student Orientation (NSO)
- Working with the UPEI Study Abroad Office on various opportunities for global student experiences
- Overseeing and working closely with faculty advisors of the FoB’s various experiential learning programs, including Co-op Learning and the Case Competition Program
- Preparing internal and external reports directly related to the FoB’s undergraduate programs, such as Quality Assurance Reviews submitted to the VPAR’s office
- Supporting the Dean in the awarding of internal learning support grants and other awards
- Engage the local/regional community to benefit FoB’s students and programs
- Other duties and committee membership(s) as assigned by the Dean
- A current tenured faculty member at the Assistant, Associate or Full Professor level within the FoB
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- A dedication to student learning, mentoring, and the FoB’s growth and development through AACSB accreditation
- An understanding of the FoB’s undergraduate programs would be considered an asset
- A clear commitment to EDI, Indigenization, and the positive role business schools must have regarding social impact
- The successful candidate must be able to work independently, take initiative where appropriate, and be an influential team member in a dynamic business school
- Other traits include good judgment, decision-making skills, adaptability, and flexibility
Term: Initial appointment for three (3) years with an optional one-term renewal
Applicants must submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter citing the competition number listed above and their suitability for the position, including their undergraduate teaching and student support record. In addition, interested parties may arrange to forward three letters of reference which speak specifically to their match with this position by the competition closing date.
Applications should be sent via email in a pdf format and addressed to:
Tarek Mady, Ph.D.
Dean, Faculty of Business
University of Prince Edward Island
Charlottetown, PE, C1A 4P3
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Closing date is December 15, 2023; however, the competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is identified.
How to Apply?
If you believe you’re a great fit for the role of Associate Dean – Undergraduate Programs and Student Success – Faculty of Business Apply Now!
Also, Check out More Associate Dean – Undergraduate Programs and Student Success – Faculty of Business Vacancies in Canada.